Gov’t Prioritizes Resettling Landslide Victims: Minister Featured

18 Mar 2017
443 times

Addis Ababa March 18/2017 The government of Ethiopia is working to sustainably rehabilitate victims of rubbish dump landslide that costs the lives of 113 people.

In a press briefing he gave here today to journalists, Minister of Government Communication Affairs Office, Dr Negeri Lencho said the government has given priority to resettling survivors of the incident and families residing in the vicinity.

 “The government has planned and set committee to resettle these people permanently, because they have lost their property, homes and the government is responsible for resettling these people and help them to live their own life in the future” he said.

According to Dr Negeri, investigation to know the cause for the landslide will be conducted. “We don’t blame anyone for the causes, because we haven’t yet known the cause of this accident. But the government decided to investigate.”

Two institutions, the Addis Ababa University and Texas University, have been selected to conduct the investigation, he added.

Fifty-five million Birr has so far collected to rehabilitate the victims, Negeri said.

Regarding to the impact of drought in the country that affected 5.6 million people, the minister noted that the Ministers assured that there is no risk of famine in the country.

“I can assure you that there is no risk of famine because Ethiopia has enough store to respond”.

Even if the country has facing challenges including drought, the government has long and short term plans that will allow to overcome challenges and sustain the ongoing development, he added.

So far, the efforts in minimizing the impact of drought are successful and it will continue strengthened, the Minister said.

Saying that there are some health related problems in some parts drought affected areas, the Ministry of Health has sent a team to study the problems and handle the situation.

Responding to questions raised regarding the recent attack by the Murle Tribe that killed 18 peoples and kidnapped many, the Minister said the attackers don’t represent the position of the Sudanese government.

"The two counties leaders identified the areas that they have to work on together.We share very vast area and we have to secure the border areas together", he said.

He added that this problem cannot be continued in the future as the government has set plan to build infrastructures between the two countries to further enhance cooperation.

Negeri said “Such kinds of crisis including the drought or any such incident cannot stop the development programs that are already launched.”

 

 

 

ENA Photo Display

Visit Us on Social Media

 

Exchang Rate in Birr

Currency Converter widget